This workshop is strictly for kids aged 10 and up as the children need to be able to follow instructions which can be a little complex sometimes. Also, they must have developed fine motor skills allowing them to be able to thread a needle independently, sew in straight lines and curves and also be able to reach the pedal of the sewing machine on the floor.
Please only book if your child is 10 and up and has had relevant experience.
What you will learn.
- Measure yourself and identify your pattern size
- Make simple fitting alterations
- Lay out your pattern and cut fabric accurately
- Transfer pattern markings
- Pin and stitch together seams accurately
- How and why to trim down seam allowances
- Neaten and strengthen seams using zig zag stitch
- How to hem
- Make a tie waistband
What to bring
- Fabric (Wash and Dry before class)
- Thread to match
- 50cm of iron on interfacing (similar weight to your fabric)
- Sewing Kit if you have one
FABRIC SUGGESTIONS – Light- to medium-weight fabrics easy to sew such as chambray, cotton types, light weight denim, light weight corduroy, gingham, batiks and sateens.
Knee Length 1.5 meters
Skirt with contrast pocket and waistband 1.2 meters of main fabric, 1 meter of contrast fabric
- Simplicity Pattern 8133 proved in size range Misses 6-18 (Take home with you)
Note: Waist measurements are from 58cm to 81cm. Please measure your childs waist and if it falls outside that range, contact us so we can adjust the pattern accordingly before class.
- Sewing Machines
- Pins, scissors and tools are provided if you have your own
Lessons are run in our cool studio in Elsternwick right near the train stations, free parking is available in the train station car park.
Please provide allergy free snacks, lunch and water bottle for your child. Also, make sure your child is wearing closed toe shoes. (no sandals or thongs).