St Kilda Melbourne
Learn to Sew – The Venus Kimono.
Over a three week course you will learn how to make your very own Venus Kimono. In the first week we will meet on an “excursion” at a local fabric shop where you will learn how to choose the correct fabric, how to calculate fabric requirements and discuss prepping your fabric.
Over the following two weeks you will learn about grainlines, how to layout your pattern, pressing techniques, sew french seams and rolled hems.
In the last week you will finish off your Venus Kimono and also do a quick photo shoot for you to share and show off with your friends! Hashtag #amazing!
- Week 1: A two hour excursion, meeting at a local fabric store to shop for your fabric and supplies. Learn how to choose fabric, calculate your fabric requirements and finish at a cafe for coffee to chat about washing and prepping your fabric.
- Week 2: Learn how to read a pattern, how to layout your fabric and sewing terminology. You will cut out your pattern and start sewing your Venus Kimono.
- Week 3: Learn all about french seams and rolled hems and finish sewing your Venus Kimono with a quick photo session so we can show off your Kimono on the Sew This Pattern website.
What to bring
- For the first week please make sure you bring some money on your excursion to purchase your fabric and a cuppa after.
- Coffee, tea and light snacks will be provided over the following three weeks. Please advise of any allergies.
What you get
- A copy of the Venus Kimono Pattern and a skirt made by you!
- A small intimate group of three sewers
- A fun excursion!
Skill level required
This course is designed for sewers who have had some basic sewing skills. You have basic sewing skills and have made something like a cushion or a bag but you don’t have the confidence to tackle a pattern and are not sure of the sewing terminology. Perhaps you learnt at school but haven’t sewn in years or you may be more experienced but want to learn some fit and finishing skills.
*Annie has her Fashion Design and Production Certificate and over 30 years of sewing experience.