What you will learn.
- How to take your measurements and grade pattern if necessary.
- How to choose the correct fabrics
- Accurate cutting
- Stretch stitching techniques
- Fitting stretch to avoid gaping
- Attaching sleeves
- Create ruched details with elastic
What to bring
- Your own overlocker (if you don’t have one, we have two available to use)
- All-purpose polyester sewing overlocking thread to match top and bottoms.
- Ballpoint needles
- 1.3m mid- to heavyweight athletic fabric with 4-way stretch (at least 25%) such as nylon elastane blends (also known as spandex)
- 1m of fabric for contrast panel (same fiber content as above) Optional: Use a stretch mesh fabric or stretch lace
- 1 meter of 1 cm elastic
- 1.5m of lightweight jersey (bamboo or merino jersey has a beautiful drape and handfeel)
- New Look Pattern 6547 (you can bring your own if you prefer, however, it must be similar)
- Sewing machines
- 2 overlockers
- Pins, scissors, bobbins, irons
- Coffee and Tea
Fabric for these projects can be purchased from most fabric stores. If you have problems finding what you need, please contact us.
We also have a few bolts of black and aqua bamboo jersey ideal for the tank and blue floral and purple geometric print legging fabric which you can purchase on the day of your course.
Skill level required
This course is designed for the confident beginner. Ideally, you have taken the Introductory Overlocking class or have used your overlocker before. If you are not intending on using an overlocker, you should have basic sewing skills and have made something like a simple A-line.