On Friday we will meet at 10 am and over a coffee or tea start to determine sizes, sew our toiles and make any alterations to the pattern. We will cut out our fabrics ready for construction and Lunch will be at the very cool Hanoi Hannah Finishing at 5pm for a nice glass of wine and cheese.
Saturday we meet again at 10am with our fabric ready for marking. Today is exciting as we start to construct our blazers. Lunch at the Hunter & Co Deli is included as well as some afternoon tea and we will sew until 6 pm. Wine and cheese will be served so we can relax and discuss our sewing adventures of the day.
Starting again at 10am on Sunday we will continue on with our Blazer making. Sushi lunch is provided and we will sew until 6pm.
If you don’t finish, don’t stress! You can come in on the following Friday evening from 6-9pm to finish off your Blazers.
Skill level required
This course is designed for the intermediate to advanced sewer
What you will learn:
- Adjusting the pattern for fit
- Where to use interfacings and which ones to choose
- How to sew a crisp collar and smooth pockets
- How to sew a lining
- Grading to give your jacket a polished look
- How to sew a perfect sleeve
- How to make beautiful buttonholes & smooth hems,
- Tips and tricks for fast sewing with a professional finish
- Sewing machines
- A copy of Jasika Blazer Sewing Pattern by Closet Case Patterns.
- Cutting table
- Irons including a steam iron
- Expert guidance
- Cheese and wine on Friday and Saturday night
- Lunch on Friday, Saturday and Sunday
- Afternoon tea
- Lessons are run in my cool little studio in Elsternwick, right near the train station.
- An introduction to the pattern, measuring and sizing.
- Prepare pattern pieces, cut out and mark up fabric for the toile.
- Sew toiles, ready for the fitting process.
- Fittings and alterations. As a group, we will identify fitting issues and corrections to pattern pieces.
- Finish cutting out fabric including lining and interfacing
- Transfer all markings for sewing.
- Start to construct your Blazer starting with the pockets, you will be taken through all the tricky bits such as collars, facings, and sleeves.
- Continue construction
- Shoulder pads
- Buttons and finishing.
- Discuss any fitting or construction issues.
The maximum number of students is four so each student will get personalised instructions and plenty of time to sew and get to know one another. Due to the limited available spaces, registration for this workshop is non-refundable. Please check your schedule carefully before registering.
About your instructor
Annie is an Indie pattern designer, blogger, and head honcho at Sew This Pattern. Annie has been sewing since she was a young teen and has over 30 years of sewing and design experience. She has her Fashion Design and Production Certificate and was recently awarded a Dressmaker of the Year Award, 2018 from Simplicity patterns. Annie’s style of teaching is fun and full of fantastic tips to help take your sewing skills to the next level.
*Please be aware that in order for a Weekend Workshop to be held, a minimum of two students needs to be enrolled. If we do not get the minimum registration needed, the class will be canceled and in the rare event that we need to cancel a workshop for which you are registered, you will receive a full refund.*