This course is designed for the intermediate to advanced sewer. There will be some homework involved too!
What you will learn:
- Adjusting the pattern for fit
- Where to use interfacings and which ones to choose
- How to sew a crisp collar and smooth pockets
- How to sew a lining
- Grading to give your jacket a polished look
- How to sew a perfect sleeve
- How to make beautiful buttonholes & smooth hems,
- Tips and tricks for fast sewing with a professional finish
- Sewing machines
- A copy of Jasika Blazer Sewing Pattern by Closet Case Patterns.
- Cutting table
- Irons including a steam iron
- Expert guidance
- Coffee, tea and snacks.
- Lessons are run in my cool little studio in Elsternwick, right near the train station.
Weeks One & Two
- An introduction to the pattern, measuring and sizing.
- Prepare pattern pieces, cut out and mark up fabric for the toile.
- Sew toiles, ready for the fitting process.
- Fittings and alterations. As a group, we will identify fitting issues and corrections to pattern pieces.
- Finish cutting out fabric including lining and interfacing
- Transfer all markings for sewing.
- Homework – finish marking
Weeks Three & Four
- Start to sew and construct your Blazer starting with the pockets, you will be taken through all the tricky bits such as collars, facings, and sleeves.
- Homework – Finish sewing to the point of lining contruction.
Weeks Five & Siz
- Continue construction
- Shoulder pads
- Buttons and finishing.
- Discuss any fitting or construction issues.
The maximum number of students is four so each student will get personalised instructions and plenty of time to sew and get to know one another. Due to the limited available spaces, registration for this course is non-refundable. Please check your schedule carefully before registering.
About your instructor
Annie is an Indie pattern designer, blogger, and head honcho at Sew This Pattern. Annie has been sewing since she was a young teen and has over 30 years of sewing and design experience. She has her Fashion Design and Production Certificate and was recently awarded a Dressmaker of the Year Award, 2018 from Simplicity patterns. Annie’s style of teaching is fun and full of fantastic tips to help take your sewing skills to the next level.
*Please be aware that in order for this course to be held, a minimum of two students needs to be enrolled. If we do not get the minimum registration needed, the class will be canceled and in the rare event that we need to cancel the course for which you are registered, you will receive a full refund.*