What you will learn.
- How to take your measurements and adjust pattern to fit your body shape.
- How to choose the correct fabrics
- Accurate cutting
- Stabilising stretch fabric
- Stretch stitching techniques
- Fitting stretch to avoid gaping
- Attaching sleeves
- Create ruched details with elastic
What to bring
- Bring along your sewing machine if you prefer to use your own.
Fabric – 1.5m x 150cm wide for all sizes
1.5m x 115cm wide for sizes 1-5
OR 2.3m x 115cm wide for sizes 6-8.
• Matching thread
• 25cm x 6-8mm wide clear elastic, ribbon or stay tape to stabilise the shoulders.
• Optional: 0.5m x 5mm wide woven or braided elastic for the ruched sleeves and neckline.
Light- to medium-weight stretch knit fabrics, such as cotton jersey, viscose jersey or wool jersey. Check the fabric can be stretched crosswise at least 25% wider than its original width, and that it pings back down to size after stretching
- A copy of the Agnes Pattern
- Sewing machines to use (or bring your own if you want)
- Coffee, Tea and snacks.
Skill level required
This course is designed for sewers who are confident beginners. You’ve sewn a few things already and are eager to learn new skills or you are confident sewing woven fabric but would like to expand your repertoire into stretch fabrics.
About your instructor
Mel is the owner of Indy Pattern Company, Wearable Studio. Mel has years of sewing experience and has recently graduated in pattern making from the Melbourne Fashion Institute. Mel loves to sew with stretch and has a wealth of knowledge to pass on!